The Aldershot Bombing was a car bomb attack by the Official Irish Republican Army (Official IRA) on 22 February 1972 in Aldershot, England. The bomb targeted the headquarters of the British Army's 16th Parachute Brigade and was claimed as a revenge attack for Bloody Sunday. Seven civilian staff were killed and 18 people were wounded. It was the Official IRA's largest attack in Britain during "the Troubles" and one of its last major actions before it declared a ceasefire in May 1972.


The Northern Ireland riots of August 1969 marked the beginning of the conflict known as "The Troubles". To help restore order, the British Army was deployed on the streets of Northern Ireland. In December 1969, the Irish Republican Army split into two factions - the Official IRA and Provisional IRA. Both factions then began military campaigns against the British Army and Royal Ulster Constabulary.

On 30 January 1972, soldiers of the British Army's Parachute Regiment shot twenty-six civilians during a civil rights march in Derry. Thirteen people died. This incident became known as Bloody Sunday.

The bombing:

The target of the Official IRA bomb was the headquarters of the 16th Parachute Brigade, elements of which had been involved in the Bloody Sunday shootings.

A Ford Cortina containing a 280 pounds (130 kg) time bomb was left in the car park, deliberately positioned outside the officer's mess. The bomb exploded at 12:40 pm on 22 February, destroying the officer's mess and wrecking several nearby Army office buildings.

The soldiers who were the intended targets were not present, as the regiment itself was stationed abroad and most staff officers were in their offices rather than the mess. Nonetheless, seven civilian staff were killed - five female kitchen staff who were leaving the premises, an elderly gardener, and Father Gerard Weston (a Catholic British Army chaplain). Nineteen people were also wounded by the explosion.

On 23 February, the Official IRA issued a statement claiming that it had carried out the attack in revenge for Bloody Sunday. It added: "Any civilian casualties would be very much regretted as our target was the officers responsible for the Derry outrages". The Official IRA also said that the bombing would be the first of many such attacks on the headquarters of British Army regiments serving in Northern Ireland.


As the bomb had killed only civilian staff, the Official IRA received harsh and widespread criticism. On 29 May 1972, the Official IRA's leadership called a ceasefire and vowed that it would only launch attacks in self-defence. The Aldershot bombing was believed to have been one of the factors that led to this decision.

In November 1972, Noel Jenkinson was convicted for his part in the bombing and received a lengthy jail term, dying in prison of heart failure four years later.

The larger and more militant Provisional IRA continued its military campaign and also began to attack military and commercial targets in Britain. Its first attack in Britain took place on 8 March 1973, when it exploded car bombs in London.