Dublin Heuston, commonly called Heuston Station (Irish: Stáisiún Heuston), is one of Ireland's main railway stations, serving the south, southwest and west. It is operated by Iarnród Éireann (IE), the national railway operator. It also houses the head office of IE's parent company, Córas Iompair Éireann (CIÉ).
The station opened on 4 August 1846 as the terminus and headquarters of the Great Southern and Western Railway (GS&WR). It was originally called Kingsbridge Station from the nearby Kings Bridge over the Liffey, but was renamed in 1966 after Sean Heuston, an Easter Rising leader who had worked in the station offices.
Designed by Sancton Wood, the handsome original buildings remain. The five panels along the front represent, in order:
VIII.VIC - being the Act of Parliament that incorporated the GS&WR
The Coat of Arms of Cork City
The Coat of Arms of Dublin City
The Coat of Arms of Limerick City
AD. 1844 - being the year of incorporation of the GS&WR
Since its renewal (by Quinn Savage Smyth architects and engineers Buro Happold) it includes two branches of Eason's, as well as some dining facilities, including a Supermacs, and a pub.
Links to other main stations:
Although there is a physical rail link between Connolly Station and Heuston, via the Phoenix Park Tunnel, this is usually only used for freight and rolling stock movements. Once or twice a year special trains may operate, usually from Cork to Connolly for Gaelic Athletic Association matches in Croke Park.
However, both the No. 90 bus and the Luas light rail system connect the two stations.
The Government Transport 21 initiative plans by 2015 to have an Interconnector tunnel linking Heuston with Pearse Station and onwards to the new Docklands railway station.
There are nine platforms - eight terminal platforms and one through platform. Platform 1 is an extension to Platform 2, and reachable only via that platform. Prior to Heuston's recent upgrade, there were five terminal platforms.
The through platform is known as "Platform 10", and may be used for a Donegal rail line; there is no platform nine. Platform 10 is some distance from the main concourse.
Intercity and Commuter services leave the station on a triple line as far as Inchicore, and a double line beyond. This is the main line to Cork, serving Kildare (end of Commuter services occurs at milepost 30) and the junction for Kilkenny and Waterford, Portarlington, a diverging route to west via Tullamore and Athlone, Portlaoise, Ballybrophy, the junction for Limerick via Nenagh, Thurles, Limerick Junction (for direct Limerick and Ennis services, and Waterford via Clonmel), Mallow (junction for Killarney & Tralee.
The main IE maintenance depot, at Inchicore, is approximately three kilometres (two miles) away.